Saturday, January 12, 2008

I have been in a cooking slump lately. Maybe it is because my Rachael Ray subscription ran out in August, and my new subscription (a full year this time!) hasn't arrived in my mailbox yet. Actually, I think it's because I'm just plain tired and famished when I come home from work and the thought of standing on my feet for another hour just doesn't appeal to me. I cooked every night last year - and we're talkin' lip smackin' good dinners, with sides. Oh dear. I love cooking, and I love my husband. I really do try....I've just been brain-dead when it comes to new recipes lately.

I did try virgin beer-battered fish the other night. And by virgin, I mean that we don't drink beer (aka-pee-in-a-bottle - yuck!), so we didn't have any beer, so I researched on the internet for half an hour for substitutes for beer (and club soda is apparently the only thing remotely close), so I asked my poor, poor husband to go to out twice to the store, and so the recipe eventually ended up becoming fried fish with club soda instead. It didn't turn out too bad, if I do say so myself. Of course, anything smothered in tarter sauce can't taste too awful anyway, right? Yummmmmm.

Tonight I think I'm going to make burgers with carmelized onions and Rachael Ray's "Oven Steak Fries" (30-Minute Meals 2; page 201). Monday my in-laws are coming over and I'm making my mom's awesome 3-cheese and 3-pepper chicken and bow-tie casserole with salad. Does anyone have any quick week-night meals that work for them? Please share them with a desperate housewife. ;)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm a crock pot fan on rehearsal/performance nights. Two chicken dishes: one VERY simple that my hubby loves is marinate chicken in Italian sauce and cook in crock pot. Also, I've put chicken in a crock pot and dumped the following of sorts: chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, dried onion dip mix, garlic cloves, Old Bay, and some water. Serve with rice and a veggie and it's yummy!

Mary said...

One thing that'd I'd suggest is that you write down and list the meals that are no brainers. You'd be surprised how many you come up with and then you don't have to overwhelm yourself with new recipes all the time. Set aside one or two nights for that (weekends!). I think half the battle is just figuring out WHAT to eat.

Jessica said...

thanks girls!!!