Friday, March 21, 2008

So.

Last Saturday, I started to get a cold. My throat was sore for two days (typical), then I got a full-blown cold. Sounds innocent enough. I rested, took my Vitamin C faithfully, and felt great yesterday - thought I was over it.

This morning, around 4:45, I awoke from a dream where I had been clawing at my ear. I woke up because my ear was killing me - I mean, I was in agony. I wondered if I hadn't made my ear hurt from touching it a lot in my sleep. I took two ibuprofen and tried to go to sleep.

Well, the pain didn't go away, and it was really, really intense. Chris thought I probably had fluid in my ear from my cold, which made sense since I could hear a little crackling when I laid my head down. I made an emergency appt with the doctor.

About 1/2 hour before the appt, I hear a lot of little popping sounds, like little tiny guns going off in rapid succession in my ear. Brownish-pink fluid starts flowing out (I know, tmi). I knew this was not good.

I get to the doctor, and she told me that basically, my eardrum perforated. The fluid was too much, so a little hole was created, which relieved the pressure in my ear (which explains the weird fluid and the relief I felt by the time I got to the doctor). I had to buy some ridiculously expensive medicine (tip: do NOT get your meds at CVS! shocking prices), and I have a follow-up on Wednesday.

Besides being in still some pain and discomfort, I'm kinda worried. The doctor would NOT promise me that I won't have hearing loss because of this. Has this ever happened to anyone else before?!

3 comments:

Mary said...

What in the world! That seemed to come on quickly! Will have to pray for 100% healing!

Heather said...

Yes. This is actually quite common, especially among kids. It's a way for our bodies to release the pressure. Kids are pretty much guaranteed complete recovery (this happened to my brother). I don't know about adults as our bodies start slowing down. I will definitely be praying for your hearing!

Mrs Marcos said...

I have had chronic ear infections my whole life, they always told my mom I would grow out of them but I never have. The doctors always tell me they can see where my ear drum has been perforated when they check my ears. Hope you're feeling better soon! I don't know if heat makes you feel better but sometimes I will lay down with one of those microwaveable rice bags on my infected ear and it feels soothing to me, maybe try that?