Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Seriously?

Several months ago, my sister and I drove up to the Starbucks drive-thru window in my hometown. My sister ordered, then I ordered my usual: tall cafe mocha, decaf/skim. I never get asked questions.

However,

a man took my order that day.

He repeated it back to me, then said,

"Okay, no whip, right?"

Pfffff.

"No, that's okay, you can give me a little."

What do I hear back through the innocent little metal box?

"Seriously?"

Now, on the one hand, one can feel sorry for this man - indeed, a measure of pity. For no man who has spent significant time with a girlfriend/fiancee/wife would ever dare to question the mental processes of a woman ordering or eating food. Especially a woman ordering chocolate. Or more specifically, chocolate-in-coffee. What this man did not - and probably cannot ever - understand, is that to a woman, it is perfectly rational to order skim milk and then put whip cream on top. I'm saving up my calories for the good stuff. I'm being good on the bottom, so the top can disobey the rules a little. Makes perfect, rational sense in my world.

This obviously was not the same world this man resided in.

So.

I just laughed, and said yes, and I got my delicious tall cafe mocha decaf skim with light whip and drove away.


All that to say, I was reminded of that experience this morning, when I made my whole-wheat flaxseed waffles (YUM!),





slathered with this





drizzled with this







with a side of turkey bacon.

Because the calories of fibery waffles and low-fat bacon and lower-fat spread and lower-sugar syrup equal one big delicious okay-for-me, right? RIGHT? Can I get an amen, ladies?




Edit: Lest anyone be alarmed, I did not actually EAT that entire stack of waffles. I made a double-batch, and those were about 1/4 of all that I made. Although I may or may not have wanted to consume them all. Without breathing.

*Recipe for these can be found in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, page 130. I sub flaxseed for half of the called-for eggs. Be forewarned, though, that flaxseed will make the waffles runnier, so you will have to cook them a little longer than normal. Simply cook them longer now, and then you can just pop them in the toaster on the "warm" button so that they won't get burnt. (This is assuming that you will freeze a batch - this is what I always do.)

No comments: