Friday, March 28, 2008

It's Frugal Friday Time!

I am linking to Biblical Womanhood today because after all of my CVS posts this week, I have a few thoughts about how to make frugal gifts from your CVS purchases. Aren't I fancy? ;)

Graduation baskets:
For a high-school graduate like me who was going to college in the middle of the Ohio cornfields (yeah Cedarville!), without a car, this was such a blessing! My aunt's gift to me was a big plastic shower caddy (which I'm sure you could get at Wal-Mart or the dollar store for $3 or less) filled with all sorts of bath supplies! She loaded mine with shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, a toothbrush, a pretty washcloth, razors, shaving gel, lotion, and more. If you're like me and have a stockpile of toiletries, pick yourself up a caddy and maybe some nice lotion, and you have an easy gift that most graduates will really appreciate once they get to college and realize they're broke!

Wedding shower gifts:
A close family friend from my church did the cutest thing at one of my bridal showers. She composed a little story about Chris and I, and inserted words from everyday household products to "fit" with the story. I have the story filed away, but to give you an example of how she might have done it: "I hope you will "Snuggle" [dryer sheets] close together often." Or, "I know you will bring each other lots of "Joy" [dishwashing detergent] in the years to come!" I'm sure you could creatively think of your own story, or get ideas from the internet. It was SO cute - as she read, her daughters brought each of the items to me.

This would require a little more purchasing, but you could certainly supplement it with your CVS buys - candles, air fresheners, dishwashing detergent, etc. There are many little household items you can pick up at CVS, and just like my graduation basket, this was such a blessing to me when we moved to a new state after we got married and we were trying to save all the cash we could. I still have some of those items, almost two years later!



A little creativity goes a long way - and these gifts will be remembered for their thoughtfulness long after the party is over!

5 comments:

mom_of2boys said...

Great ideas! I did a house warming gift with stuff that I had gotten at CVS and Walgreens (free or cheap items)

Heather said...

Rachel Talbott and Ellen Mapes did the story/household goods thing at one of my showers and it was AWESOME. The sentimental and practical combo is perfect. Cleaning stuff for newly weds is a great idea. A lot of marrieds-to-be forget how much all the cleaning supplies add up after the wedding, so don't plan for it.

Anonymous said...

Ohman Jess! I wish I had thought of that for Rachel Peed's shower! Thanks for the great ideas though, you CVS Princess, you! :-) Bee

Amanda said...

i love the idea of gift baskets filled with essentials. don't you wish you could have a shower all over again???!! my pans are so disgusting...

Mary said...

GIFT ideas! That's what it was about. Dah!