Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Made a Craft! I Made a Craft!

Yes, that is definitely breaking news. I haven't done any kind of arts 'n' crafts since 7th grade, when beading your own necklaces was all the rage and everyone I knew toted their beads and fishing line around in plastic boxes (ah, but I digress ;).

Anyway, there are so many crafty women online that I have been inspired to start thinking outside the box when it comes to finding ways to decorate my home.

I was at Goodwill a month or two ago when I saw two shadowbox-type things - "whitewashed" wood frames, with some incredibly tacky dried flowers glued to the inside.



(In my hurry to rip them out I forgot to take a photo.)


The new, crafty part of my brain thought, "I can do something with those!"

So I brought them home, and they sat.

And sat.

Finally, I asked my sister-in-law to borrow her glue gun. I had never used a glue gun before, although my mom used one alllll the time when we were little because she used to enter craft shows and sell some really cute stuff. Apparently the crafty gene stopped with me. Ah, but I digress again. ;)


Anyway, I had a whole bunch of real-live sand dollars that I had picked on the beach last year during our vacation in Maine. For a whole year they had sat in storage. They are so intricately beautiful that I knew I wanted those in my shadowboxes (my bathroom's "theme" is the beach - not tacky bright blue and yellow beach, but creams and whites and seafoam green, and only shells and sea glass and sea pottery that I or my brother have found.)

So I arranged and re-arranged about a hundred times.







I glue-gunned the sand dollars and used duck tape to hold the back together. The Nester would be oh-so-proud. I had a blast.






Then my darling husband told me he didn't want to make two more nail marks in the bathroom, since we're leaving our apartment in about a month.

So for the next month or so, they'll just rest on my window table, where I can stare at their beachy wholesomeness while I watch tv. :)





5 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful you crafty lil thing you!!

Heather said...

AWESOME! I LOVE!!!

Kathy said...

cute!! my bathroom has a beach theme too! what a little glue gun can do ... =)

Deborah said...

That is a great idea. Hope you continue to get ideas to decorate your home.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica! I forgot that you had switched to blogger, instead of Xanga, so I was excited to catch up with your life a bit on here! Can you all believe it's almost been 2 years since our shared wedding day?? Anyway, I've been looking at your links and all the crafty women, and I'm addicted to blogging now! I think I'm going to get a blog account and forgo my Xanga. I will let you know. I love the Nester's blog and so many more! Hope all is well with you all! I love your craft. I have some real sand dollars I found that I took to school to show my students, but they STINK! Did you bleach them or anything? I might copy your idea!