Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sweet summertime

Well, sorry about the lack of recent updates this week! We have been having a lot of house drama - too much to list here - and I won't bore you with the details. Suffice it to say that we are still waiting on the bank to accept/reject our counteroffer so that we can hurry up and get our inspections done before our 10-day time limit is up. This wouldn't be a problem, except that the time we will be in this country is quickly drawing to a close. We leave for our 10-day trip in the Dominican Republic on June 30th. Technically, we have internet in the mission dormitories, but I really just wanted to be completely focused on this trip and the people I was serving and not be stressed out everyday about the house.



So if anyone from Fannie Mae is reading this, could ya hurry my house along?!



Thanks.




Anyway, I did get to go strawberry picking on Friday, and it was great! I got nine pounds of strawberries, and only have about two cups left. Yes, we love us some strawberries up in these parts. ;)



Two of my favorite things to do with this most delicious of all fruits:


Strawberry "shortcake" (on biscuits is the way I really make it):










And strawberry jam.....(disregard the clutter on my counter - everything once again had to be pushed back from the wall since we found more ants last night! ahh)






The thing about jam: my sister-in-law and I made freezer jam on Saturday, and it really, really is SO easy. Anyone can do it. Freezer jam doesn't require any kind of special seals or boiling. And it is soooooooooooooo good. You will want to eat it plain. By the spoonful. Trust me on this.




Hope you're enjoying warmer weather and strawberries and sunshine and all of that good stuff that June brings. ;)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

oh yum! I love freezer jam, I made it a couple of years ago and was thinking of making it again this year ... now you have totally inspired me to do it!! =)

enjoy your time away, is it a missions trip or just for pleasure?

Deborah said...

Hey Jessica,
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am thinking about just being a blog reader since my life is to boring for anyone to read about. I can't remember how I came across your blog, but it was probably through a comment you left on another blog I read. Sorry this comment is so long. Hope you have a good weekend.

Deborah said...

Oh and the freezer strawberry jam is really good. My parents brought a lot of strawberries and I made some jam as long as a wonderful cake. Then we freezed the rest of them for later use. Good luck with your mission trip.