Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm Ready to Roll....

So, I have gained a ton of weight since my wedding 21 months ago. I mean, it's shocking. Like seriously. We're not talking less than 10 pounds, here. I mean, so-much-it's-too-embarassing-for-the-internet-to-behold.

All growing up, I was pretty thin. Weight? Never really an issue. But around my sophomore year in college, things started to change... namely, my metabolism and body weight. I was able to take off 17 pounds for my wedding in August '06, and was able to keep most of it off until maybe January or so.

Then the you-know-what hit the fan. Or so they say ;)

Anyway, through a series of events, including reading a random blog, talking to my mom, and thinking a lot about the subject, I have decided to join Curves (yes, I know, now I really sound like a grandma. Oh well). I tried Curves a few months ago when they had a free fitness study, and I lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks, without dieting. But it was November, Chris was laid off and in grad school at the time, and Christmas was coming and money was so tight. So I didn't join.

I kept telling myself I'd work out when the spring came, since I am now blessed with the metabolism of......a warthog. Well, spring is here. Have I been motivated to just go out and jog? Ummmm, NO. (Honestly, I will never understand the mind of people who can just pop out of bed at 5:30 and jog a few miles. I'd rather be chubby and stay in bed, thanks.)

I kept thinking about joining again, but we're trying to be extra careful with our money in order to continue to save for the down payment on a house.

But over the weekend, I finally realized that money shouldn't be in the way of me feeling confident and healthy about my body.

So, I went back on Monday, and joined.

And it is so refreshing!

I love how Curves is real women - granted, the majority of them (except maybe my 30-year-old sister-in-law and a few others) were born 20-40 years before me. But I love going there and not feeling like an ogre just because I don't have fake boobs and work out in a sports bra and wear little tight shorts with writing on my butt. You know what I mean?

I'm not aiming for my high-school weight again; just a healthy weight that I think would suit this stage of my life. I have a loooong way to go, but boy am I pumped! Can I just encourage you to make a similar choice, if you've been considering it? Thankfully, Chris was totally supportive. (Plus, he's had a full-time job again for the past several months.) The money will work itself out. (And providentially, the owner gave me a great discount on the registration fee, even though I technically "didn't qualify" for any of the current promotions.)

Our bodies are worth it!
Here's to being healthy and confident again!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good for you! I did Curves for three years, it's a great exercise program. And yea, I definitely remember being like the youngest one there. But, it was ok with me too. Their diet is a really good one if you're looking to drop weight quickly. If you choose to do the six week challenge, I would recommend flipping through the book and finding the menus that you like the best and rotating those instead of trying to eat what they have planned for you every day. Some of the things took a lot of effort to make and tasted pretty gross, which made it hard to stick to the first time I did it. Figuring out what I really would eat and enjoy eating, and sticking to that helped a ton the second time around. Well, there's my unsolicited advice. lol Oh, and putting on weight after getting married happens to the best of us. I put on 15 pounds and then got pregnant....and put on a TON more weight. SO, when I gave birth to Emily I had like 35 pounds to lose. Ugh. Why don't men gain weight like we do? But, the good news is with hard work and discipline the weight does come off, even after pregnancies. Ok, I'm rambling now. Have a great week!

Heather said...

Good for you!!! One of my best friends who is a couple years younger than us is a member of Curves, so you are not alone!!! I am thankful to have access to the Mil gyms (talk about intimidating though...) and I've been running this year (ugh) but I miss dancing/gymnastics and pilates, what my body best responds to.