Sunday, October 7, 2007

Chris and I went to a baptism service at church today. Our niece got baptized, along with about 6 other kids and one middle-aged woman. The last time I was at a baptism, it was my own -- and I was a sophomore in high school. Seeing it now as an "adult", I was moved to tears at the immense beauty and symbolism of it. What a powerful metaphor to see each of those people come forth out of the water, emerging forth to demonstrate that their old life is "dead" to them. It was SO cool!

In other news, I made a trifle today for the church get-together afterwards. Chris's dad (our pastor) told me I was officially inducted into the church because I was taking an empty dish home from the church get-together. Seriously girls, if you've never made a trifle before, you need to make one pronto - it's WICKED easy. Yes, I pulled out the "wicked"-- you know this is serious. ;)

Here's how I make mine:

  • devil's food cake mix
  • two boxes of instant chocolate pudding (you'll also need 4 C of milk on hand to make pudding)
  • large container of cool whip
  • chocolate covered toffee pieces (you can use skor bars or heath bars (chopped up), or look
    in the baking aisle - hershey's makes it in a bag you can buy like chocolate chips)

Are you ready?
Make the cake and slice it/break it into chunks (use half of the cake for the first layer). Put half of the pudding over the cake. Sprinkle with the candy. Put half of the cool whip over the pudding. Repeat. Top cake with more heath chunks. THAT'S IT, BABY! If you have a nice clear glass bowl, this makes a gorgeous and delicious dessert, because you can see all the pretty layers. You can also make a fruit trifle - use vanilla cake mix, pistachio or vanilla pudding, strawberries and bananas, and cool whip. Be creative!

No comments: