Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Something Happy, Something Sad

I'm baaaa-ack! :) I have a lingering hacky cough with some congestion, and I think today I sprained a muscle coughing (no joke) because I'm in a lot of pain on my right side. STILL, I am a normal, functioning, non-streppy throat human being again! Hooray!

So as you can see from the title, I do have some sad news. We had the inspection on the house today, and it did NOT go well. I mean, there are a LOT of problems with the house that we just simply couldn't see without the trained eyes of a professional. Mold in the attic, multiple pests (including mice!), serious foundation issues, plumbing issues, serious sewage issues....I could go on. For a house that looked like it was well-taken care of, those two guys helped us see a lot of issues and helped us to realize that this house would be a money pit. When all is said and done, you can't truly fix a house that's on a bad foundation - you can only put a band-aid on it. We are still waiting for his official report, but it's pretty much a no-go.

So, besides being out about $625 dollars (between inspections and paying for a professional appraisal, which we needed to get our mortgage), it also hurts emotionally. I know that sounds corny, but I had already moved myself into that house, you know? I was planning parties there, decorating, landscaping, all in my mind. It was pretty devastating to stand there and hear all the things they were saying about my house.

Except it isn't my house, thankfully.

Although I have cried a LOT over this house today, at the end of today what I mostly feel is relief. Sure, I'm gonna miss that money, but we can make it back.

But praise God, I am not going to be throwing thousands and thousands of dollars away on a home that I know now would never truly be fixed.

It's still pretty depressing, but not a black-hole kinda depression. It's weird to feel regret, sadness, disappointment, and relief all in one big package.

---

But, since I promised something sad and something happy, here is a little treat that got me through all those strep-throaty days that I wanted to share with you all. Maybe it will cheer YOU up!




I modified this from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook:
  • 1 6 oz. cup of Dannon Light 'n' Fit Vanilla yogurt (so good!)
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 1 3/4 C frozen blueberries
  • a splash of whole milk (count to 3 - lol!)

Blend and top with whipped cream. Makes 2 servings. De. Lish.

5 comments:

Heather said...

So sorry about the house!!! But you are right, better to know now than later.

Amy said...

So sorry to hear about the house and that you haven't been feeling well. :-( I know what it's like to already have yourself moved into a home and to have things fall through. God must have something better in store. Thanks for sharing the smoothy too. Looks delicious!

Amanda said...

there is a wonderful little house with no mice out there for you somewhere...
...but it is a bummer that those beautiful imagined parties have to wait.

good idea for smoothie--never tried blueberries and bananas before.

Mary said...

Oh boo hoo Jessica! That stinks! Good thing you found out now though! Gotta love home inspections.

Kathy said...

I'm so sorry about the house! It's so hard when you get your heart set on something.

On a side note ... I tried your blue/ban smoothie today and it was delish! I may just have to post it on my blog too - just can't keep it to myself!

Also, I made my blog private - long story - but if you email me and let me know what your email address is I will invite you to read it. And I'll explain too! fourkerwins@sbcglobal.net